7/15/11

Spotify VS Itunes

Instead of actually thinking of something, I grabbed a great conversation from some of my friends on Google Plus. Enjoy.





Alright hook em up, lets have a good clean fight.
Jonathan Barnes's profile photo

Jonathan Barnes's profile photoJonathan Barnes's profile photoJonathan Barnes's profile photo

Jonathan Barnes's profile photo
Jonathan Barnes -  10:59 AM  -  Public
So far I'm super impressed with spotify. The search functionality is a little soft though.
  -  Comment  -  Share
+1
 by Jason Miller
Terry Henderson's profile photo
Terry Henderson - Glad You Like It; Jon. I Don't Have A Need For It, Since I Have The Amazon Cloud Player On My Android Phone.
11:03 AM   
Jonathan Barnes's profile photo
Jonathan Barnes - Aren't you fancy. lol
11:05 AM  -  Edit   
Jason Miller's profile photo
Jason Miller - +Terry Henderson Boy, that sounded like a sore spot.

Regarding Spotify, I used it through a proxy for a while a few years ago and loved it - I didn't like the search itself, but if you use their suggestions, Spotify can help you discover music in a really organic and spontaneous way (are you writing a blog post on this yet?)
11:05 AM   
Lou Gagliardi's profile photo
Lou Gagliardi - I have iTunes :P seriously though, why would I want spotify? What would it offer that iTunes doesn't yknow?
11:07 AM   
Jason Miller's profile photo
Jason Miller - +Lou Gagliardi 15 million songs for $5, primarily.
11:07 AM (edited 11:07 AM)   
Jonathan Barnes's profile photo
Jonathan Barnes - I don't know yet, I imagine there will be enough already. Let me know if the world needs my expert opinion
11:07 AM  -  Edit   
Jason Miller's profile photo
Jason Miller - +Jonathan Barnes The world needs your expert opinion.
11:08 AM   
Lou Gagliardi's profile photo
Lou Gagliardi - +Jason Miller I can get millions of songs for free through an offshore store (that's a T4A inside joke ;) +Terry Henderson will understand)..why would I want to pay $5? As I told someone on another thread, 'if i could afford x dollars, i wouldn't be wearing 5 year old glasses.'
11:09 AM   
Terry Henderson's profile photo
Terry Henderson - +Jason Miller In Sept. I Can Pay Apple $24.95 1 Time, And Make All My "Off Shore" Downloads Legit, At Way Better Quality, & Re Upload Them To The Amazon Cloud !! Lol,Lol.
11:13 AM   
Jason Miller's profile photo
Jason Miller - +Lou Gagliardi Interesting view, but since you use iTunes, I assume you can either afford an iOS device, or songs from their store. So it comes down to, do you want $5 for 5 songs and keep them forever, or do you want $5 for 15 million songs, for a month (and on your iPod forever).
There are people who want the former, and people who want the latter, and people like me who are more interested in what Spotify looks like than how much music I have on my hard drive.
11:13 AM   
Lou Gagliardi's profile photo
Lou Gagliardi - No, I could afford an iOS device. I no longer can, especially now that it has a cracked screen, I can't replace it.

Plus, as +Terry Henderson I can go to an offshore store, and download the songs then when I eventually get the money pay to make them legit. Key words: when i get the money. Hence the use of an offshore store.
11:16 AM   
Jason Miller's profile photo
Jason Miller - +Terry Henderson What are you defining as "better quality"? Spotify streams at 360kbps, which is the same quality you are getting from iTunes downloads. Also, do you really think iTunes will let you download songs from a subscription plan? without DRM? The recording industry would never let that happen.

So, yes, Apple is going to give Spotify a run for their money - but no, they are not going to single handedly change the recording industry to a non-DRM subscription system.

Also, you can find most songs you need using specially crafted Google search queries. It's not hard, that's what Songza used in their V1 product.
11:19 AM (edited 11:20 AM)   
Terry Henderson's profile photo
Terry Henderson - Uh? I Thought Apple Already Did That 2 Years Ago, Along With Amazon's Help. No Body Does DRM, Anymore; Except For Movies, & TV Shows.
11:22 AM   
Lou Gagliardi's profile photo
Lou Gagliardi - +Terry Henderson I still have songs with DRM on them from iTunes. Though I might have bought them about 2-2.5 years ago. Shrugs
11:25 AM   
Jason Miller's profile photo
Jason Miller - But you're looking at puchasedmedia. When you watch a film on Netflix, is it DRM free? When you listen to a song on Grooveshark, do they make it easy to download the song? (no, they run their entire AJAX and streaming API through an encrypted Flash proxy).

The new iTunes subscription model will not be like the current store. It will have DRM, in some form.
11:29 AM   
Terry Henderson's profile photo
Terry Henderson - Never Happen, "His Steviness" Will Tell The Labels To Pound Salt, & They Will ! IMHO.
11:38 AM   
Jason Miller's profile photo
Jason Miller - I wouldnt mind having DRM. However, "His Steviness" had bloodywell better get me a good deal on a new MacBook Air next week.
11:40 AM   
Terry Henderson's profile photo
Terry Henderson - Ha, Ha !! I Hear You.
11:47 AM   

Spread The Love, Share Our Article

Related Posts

No Response to "Spotify VS Itunes"

Post a Comment