1/21/09

Resolution Revolution

Nearly 20 days into 2009 and I feel like I am in control of my life. In years past, this has not been the case. I would fall prey to the annual rite of resolving. “Atkins diet, here I come!”, would be my cry. Weeks later, knee deep in cinnamon rolls and depression, I would realize I had set unrealistic goals. Perhaps you have tried this. If so, I am certain you could not have fared any worse than I in holding to those resolutions. For me, making a resolution is like dressing in a lead suit, wearing a forty pound anvil around my neck, then attempting to swim the English Channel. It just does not work.

As 2008 was drawing to a close I made it clear to anyone who would ask, that no, I was definitely not going to make a resolution for the coming year.  I am so damn happy that I didn't. This year I chose a simpler approach and so far it is serving me well. I think my new approach is everything a resolution could and should have been. For 2009 I have chosen to focus on two items. That is it! That is the extent of my declaration, to focus. In case your curious, my focus is on health and on learning to play guitar. I want to eat healthier and exercise more. It is a work in progress. For Christmas I received a real nice course for learning guitar on DVD and I intend to work my way through it. It may take some time, but that is alright. A year is still 365 days at a minimum.

I have not weighed myself. I have not sworn off any particular foods. I have not been as successful as I would like, but that is fine. I have improved! My focus is still the same, and at the end of 2009 I will reevaluate where I am at. Perhaps I will focus on something else entirely for 2010. This is no pressure self improvement. This is realistic and doable. This is setting myself up for success and not for failure.

So if you made a resolution on New Years Eve and have already abandoned your good intentions, perhaps it is time to modify them. Generalize them and leave out the hyperbole. Focus on an area you want to improve in your life. Then make small changes and watch the possibilities grow. Be easy on yourself and forgiving of setbacks. Do not stop focusing on what you desire. Without focus, we have no vision.

Written By Bob

Spread The Love, Share Our Article

Related Posts

1 Response to Resolution Revolution

Scott
January 21, 2009 at 10:02 PM

I hear ya.....as an old comedian once said, "it's like pushing a cadillac up hill....................With a rope........Good job Bro.

Post a Comment