12/13/08

Best Christmas Present Ever Vroom X-15


The other day my son and I were talking about the coming Holidays.  He asked me what my most memorable present as a child was.  There was only a momentary pause before I answered.  I had to drag up the name of that toy through 40 odd years worth of memory, tinged and shadowed by dreams, stress, and the occasional bender, but it did come to me.  We were not a well to do family by any stretch of the imagination, so even as a kid I tried to keep my expectations realistic. Still, I don't remember a Christmas that was not spectacular. I do have to question my Uncle Bill's sense of propriety.  I mean, who gets a nine year old a miniature roulette wheel for Christmas?


I must have been six years old on that particular Christmas morning.  I had opened all my presents and was feeling pretty good about things.  Mom said there was one more thing and told me to close my eyes.  I did as I was told.  I heard a few sounds and then was told to open my eyes.  I sat there dumbfounded at what sat before me.  It looked unlike anything I had ever seen before!  Light metallic blue metal formed an aerodynamic shape with a large wheel in front with pedals, and two smaller wheels in back.  There was a large seat with a stick in front to steer with.  You have to remember, this was before the big wheel came out, and this was far superior I assure you.  I waited for my parents and siblings to help me get my chin off the floor and moored back into my jaws properly.  Then, I looked the contraption over from stem to stern.



In no time, I had my Vroom X-15 (Made by Mattel) out on the carport zipping around like a fighter pilot.  There was a little red slider thing on the dash (for lack of a better word) that would produce a cool engine sound.  It was truly the bomb.  Before long my neighborhood friends were over checking it out, practically drooling for a chance to try it out.  I'd like to think I gave them one.  My memory is strangely silent on that subject. That present gave me years of enjoyment.  My cousin ended up getting one sometime later, but other than that I knew nobody else that ever had one.  Checking for pictures online, I realize how few of those must have been made.  The few remaining in the world are selling like rare baseball cards.  Who knew?  It was a toy way ahead of its time, and I suspect it was a product of backward engineering, its design based on an alien toy collected at Roswell. True Christmas magic seems to be reserved for the young.  As we get older, the only way we can touch it is through our children's eyes.


Merry Christmas everyone.


Written By Bob Barnes ( My Dad)


Vroom X-15 link with pictures:   http://www.recumbents.com/x-15.htm



Spread The Love, Share Our Article

Related Posts

6 Response to Best Christmas Present Ever Vroom X-15

Aletabird
December 15, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Nice, thought-provoking entry, Bob and Jon.

I don't remember the X-15, but riding toys were probably not within my parents' budget in the late 50s - early 60s when I was little. However, I do remember several chemistry sets, a toy telescope, and other scientific toys. No Barbie doll or Easy-Bake oven for this daughter of a geek, though I do remember a talking Suzy Smart doll that came with her own school desk and blackboard and was cherished for many years.

Teri
January 25, 2009 at 9:18 PM

I loved my Vrroom and I wish I could have bought one for my kids!! That was one of my favorite toys ever!
I'm glad to see that other people had a great memory too!!

jeep
February 8, 2009 at 2:22 PM

Anybody have any idea what one is worth in halfway good condition?
I am cleaning out my basement of stuff that hasn't been used in a while. I don't want to cheat anyone or cheat myself

February 9, 2009 at 11:06 PM

Would love for you all to post your X-15 pics, memories and stories at The Museum of Vintage VRROOM! located at www.vinatgevrroom.com.

December 9, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Love our Christmas memories. My favorite memory was a Barbie mansion when Rebecca and I were 5. I am positive it brought as much pleasure as that bike did for you!

December 10, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Great story! I remember being envious of the kids who's parents could afford the motorized kid vehicles but I loved my paddle beetle just as well.

Post a Comment